Nitto 1/20 S.F.3.D.
Nitto 1/20 S.F.3.D.
$ Long out of production
kit started out life as a S.F.3.D Original kit From Nitto
Series 4 1/20th scale kit # 0104. The kit is no longer available,
"But there are rumors that the line will be released again". As for history
of the model I depicted it as a derelict found in the
The ruins are depicted as if the suit was fighting
In a factory setting, with the operator missing in action.
The entire Nitto line of SF3D model's are a fun
fantasy way of looking at future conflict. The kit it self is a pretty
build. The kit consists of 120 or so parts. The instructions are
very easy to follow with a neat story about the history and specs on the
bottom of the box.
Since this model was to be a wreck I took a
grinder and thinned out the inside of the body to create the impact and exit
holes on the main body. Once this was done I took the same grinder to the
and dimpled the plastic to replicate wear and tear that could happen after a
life of combat.
The rest of the kit was built
out of the box. One note when assembling one of these kits is to
open up the joint holes for freedom of movement other wise you will have a
very still model that does not move very much. Once the kit was assembled I
started on the base. I took a section from an old VLS Stalingrad factory
ruin and cut it down to match the size of the model. Various plastistrut
beams and tube for piping were also used.
Markings were not used as this model depicts a
wreck that has been sitting for hundreds of years. Painting is where the fun
started on this model. Once assembled and the seams were filled. I lightly
primed the model using Plasti-Kote automotive sandable primer T-235. This
primer is by far the best and easiest to use primer available today. Once
the priming and sanding were complete the rusting began.
Rustall the entire model including several of the base elements were
completely covered in a base of rust. Once dry the first coat was dry I
sealed it with matt Krylon krystal clear acrylic spray paint. A second coat
of rust was again applied with a 25% mixture of baking soda added to the
Rustall in strategic places
This replicates lifting and the oxidation of the metal. Once this is
dry seal again with the matt coat. I let the model dry over night then mixed
a paste of Kosher salt with a few drops of water. Right before the water
completely dries I sprayed the entire model. I waited until the model was
dry to the touch. Using a paper towel
I rubbed the salt off the painted model. This created an effect of
very old rusted paint. The same process was used ffor elements of the base.
Weathering was done using MIG pigments and Filters.
The Skull was made using a metal skull found on an
old keychain. I made a rubber mold then cast it out of urethane resin. The
is from the kit after grinding out the head inside to make room for
the skull. The various rubble on the base was made using greeblies supplied
from my parts box. I added a piece of polished black acrylic for the bottom
of the base.
The entire project took about 25 hours to
complete. It was a fast and very satisfying project and a release form the
old standby of armor and aircraft. I highly recommend building something
like this as
it allows you to use your imagination to create something out of the norm.
If you would like your product reviewed fairly and quickly, please
me or see other details in the
Back to the Main Page
Back to the Review